Tuesday 13 April 2021

The Ramadan 2020 “wish list": A year later

Today marks the start of Ramadan 2021! To all my Muslim friends and allies around the world, Ramadan Mubarak! I wish you a safe and peaceful month ahead.

I woke up this morning and searched for the list of “post-Covid” things I made last year during Ramadan to see how much I was able to accomplish. Much to my surprise, I achieved 47 out of the 150 items in the list. It’s not stellar, I suppose, but considering we still aren’t fully opened, and we haven’t been permitted to do a lot of the things, I’d say that’s impressive!

Here are a few of the highlights of these accomplishments:

  1. Hug Grammy. It was, in fact, the top item on my list, and it was a glorious moment getting to hug her. At the onset of the initial lockdown period, I was certain that I would never have this opportunity. This was probably the greatest moment of the last year.
  2. Kayak. I got in as many trips as I could until they started to interfere with my time with Grammy. I do still have my kayak, though, and at some point will get back into it.
  3. Go on a solo overnight trip. I did a couple of these. But the most notable one was the cabin in the woods that had to be rescheduled due to a potential murderer on the loose... in the same woods I was supposed to be in. Disconnecting from the outside world for a few days was needed. And challenging.
  4. Sort through the bins from Mom’s place. Probably one of the hardest things I did last year. I took the day off, my friend Laura came over and we sorted through all of the remaining things I’d panic-packed when we were preparing to sell Mom’s house many years ago. It brought up a lot of old memories (mostly good), and it gave me another opportunity to work through my grief.
  5. Find a new way to give back to the community. I started to volunteer with the “21st Century Space Guys” - a local LEGO Robotics club. I’m learning all about robotics and coding, while offering my coaching skills to 5 awesome kids!
  6. Heal. If Covid has done anything for me in the last year, it’s coming to terms with, and starting to deal with some of my past traumas. Like many others, some of the things I had buried deep, deep down surfaced in the time I was mandated to hangout with only myself. It was hard. It is still hard. But, I think it has also been productive and cleansing.
  7. Hike to Theresa McAuley’s property. A great outdoor activity with friends! I learned more about the life and death of Theresa and supported a good friend at the same time.
  8. Go to Masstown Market. This one is special. Not because of this stop, but because it took place on the way home from picking up Zaida. Thanksgiving weekend was certainly one to remember!
  9. Go on an overnight with Grammy. Okay, so we weren’t able to go anywhere, but we did have a few sleepovers in Ingramport, which also involved some adventures throughout the day. Two adventures come to mind - the sunset at Peggy’s Cove, and her final big day out - a trip to Lunenburg, Mahone Bay and Chester.
  10. Start a fitness trainer certification program. Check! And in a few weeks, it will actually be two certification programs, plus a healthy eating coaching program!
  11. Go to Arby’s in Bridgewater. Do I really need to say more? It also involved a great hike with Mike, Beth and Zaida.
  12. Live by myself for a full year. Not always by choice, but I achieved this one. Somedays were certainly harder than others. I’m glad I did it, and I look forward to another year of it!
  13. Look into starting a coaching business. Further to #10, I officially registered my fitness business a few weeks ago. I’m not quite ready to launch it yet, but details will be coming!
  14. Do a sunrise/sunset adventure in one day. I did a few of these over the year. Catching these moment kept my sanity when things were mostly shutdown. 
  15. Say goodbye to Gertie. A hard day, but a long overdue one. I loved that little princess, but she was no longer living her best (or any) life. Sometimes the hardest decisions are the best decisions. 
Here are the top 5 things I still want to make happen from the list (when world events permit!):
  1. Get back to the “Emily-friendly” diet.
  2. Travel to Ireland.
  3. Hike the Admiral Lake Loop/Skull Rock trail.
  4. Hike Mount Kenya.
  5. Visit Mike and Beth (and Furniece!) in BC.
I understand that these are mostly travel related. A couple of them will likely be tied together, and a visit to BC is obviously less of a wish list and more of a mandatory happening when it’s safe to do so. I am committing to less travel when things open up a bit more and it is safer for all to do these things. I’ve spent a lot of time exploring Nova Scotia this past year, and I foresee 2021 to be similar. I have lived in this province for most of my life, and still have so much yet to experience. As the effects of climate change become greater, travelling outside of Canada will become less and less. I would love to see the world, but I think this past year has shown us that our usual way of doing things isn’t realistic anymore. I would say my time in Africa is limited, so I will appreciate those experiences all the more when I am able to return once more.

Participating in this year’s Ramadan was the final item on the list. However, I have made the decision not to observe Ramadan this year. Last year, like those previous was, in some ways, it was good for the soul, but it was also a mental health battle I did not anticipate. While things are more social in my little part of the world these days, I’m still not able to freely mingle with folks in a way that makes Ramadan successful, and to a greater extend, healthy. A difficult choice for me, for sure, but one that I think is best in the long run.

And with that, may you all have a happy and healthy month, whether you observe this Holy month or not!

-the Orange Canadian

No comments:

Post a Comment