Monday 5 April 2021

Easter traditions, or whatever

Yesterday was supposed to be the day I got my Gran up in the wee hours of the morning to head to Peggy’s Cove to watch the sunrise. It’s a deal we made in the summer when we had the pleasure of sitting together to watch the sunset (her first time ever doing so from that location!). And even as it became evident that there was no way she’d be joining me this year, I still told her I’d follow through with the promise.

This was a tradition that she and my grandfather had for many years. On Easter Sunday, they’d get up early and head to the rocks to sit, sip coffee and watch the sunrise over the village. They’d often be joined by old neighbours and it was a great way to visit and catch up.

Watching the weather over the weeks leading up to this Easter weekend, it looked like everything was going to workout. In fact, at one point, it seemed that Sunday morning was the only one that would be clear and warm...ish. But alas, as the day neared, it was rain and snow in the forecast, which is not favourable for nighttime driving at any distance.

Knowing this would be the case, I decided to switch gears at the last minute, and got up on Saturday morning to do an improvised sunrise. We had many fond memories in Wolfville, so I made my way there. But as it would happen, Wolfville is very concerned with nighttime safety, and as a result is VERY well lit. So much so, that it was too light to appreciate the sunrise. Recognizing this, I made my way to Port Williams, hoping I’d get a better vantage point, and could stay in my car.

Unfortunately, even though there were blue skies forming overhead, it was a bit too overcast for sunrise. It was still a beautiful morning though. So I enjoyed what I could, sipping coffee, and thinking that Grammy would have appreciated this all the same. I will get to Peggy’s Cover another time.

But this isn’t the only tribute to my grandparents. Last weekend, I made a permanent decision - a pair of cardinals.

Photo credit: Mike Bishop (Bishop Tattoo)

This was their favourite bird, and we witnessed many of them on my grandparent’s property. I also had a pair of cardinals on my property last year (and the male would actually follow me around the house from the outside!). So now, whenever I go for sunrise or sunset, they’re both be with me. Likely sipping coffee and enjoying the view.

-the Orange Canadian

No comments:

Post a Comment