Tuesday 14 April 2015

MMMAAAAIIIIILLLLLLLL!*

Sometimes living abroad can be lonely. It can be challenging. You tend to miss strange things you didn't think you really enjoyed in the first place. You miss specific places, foods, and people. Then there's also the added challenge of attempting to describe, and give justice to, your experiences. But the things that get you through those moments where you don't quite feel yourself, when you're longing for those places, foods, and people, are the phone calls, emails and my personal favourite - the letter and/or care package!

Just a sample of some of the notes I've received since arriving in Manchester.
In the last few weeks, I've been fortunate enough to have received two letters and an Easter care-package (for which I cheated and opened and then pretty much consumed immediately!). Picking up the phone or sending a quick note on the computer are easy to do, with little effort. Taking the time to sit down, write a note by hand, and send it takes just that - time. It's a dying art-form, and one I really enjoy.

The questionable contents of my care package. I swear I do wash! 
Epic wrapping courtesy of my grandmother.
Oh, and my thumb...
All the maple products one can imagine...all of
which I ate (or shared) before I could take a picture!
I think there's something almost magical about finding the perfect card or writing paper and spending a few moments reflecting on a meaningful message to whoever the recipient may be. It doesn't even have to be lengthy, because the very thought behind the act is in itself a message. Plus, there's the added bonus of receiving something that doesn't demand payment (although I'm certain the sender wouldn't mind if you responded with a financial surprise, as well!).

But seriously, it's so easy to do - you don't even require special paper. I challenge you, (yes, YOU!) to write a letter to someone. Anyone. Maybe it's someone you haven't spoken to in a while. Maybe it's your neighbour. Whoever it may be, I can almost guarantee that you will bright the their day when they receive it.

So, for those of you back home who have been kind enough to take a moment or two from time to time to jot me a quick "hello" - thank you, and keep 'em comin'! I can honestly tell you that many of these arrived at a moment when I need a little boost to get me motivated!

Happy letter-writing,

-the Orange Canadian

*Yes folks, that was a reference to Blue's Clues. Great show. 

Yeah, I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment