Sunday 9 December 2018

Airports: The best and worst of humanity

Over the last decade, but more so the past 5 years, I've done my fair share of travelling. Most times this has been for work or studies. Often, they are stressful for an introverted kid like me, as they usually involve swarms of people and disorganized chaos. But despite all that, they're truly a wonderful social experiment - showcasing the highs and lows of human behaviour and emotion.

Think about it, where else do you get to witness the excitement and anticipation of what's to come? Emotional reunions? First steps together in the form of a honeymoon, or signs of lasting relationships?

When you get to witness these moments as a bystander, it's pretty amazing. I often think about one of my departures from Uganda and the experience with the Somali family who had just been granted residency in the US. I still think about how beautiful that time was and how excited they were, and how those in line rallied with them to celebrate this incredible news - a chance at a better, safer life.

And then there are those on the opposite end of the spectrum. Those who are rude, grumpy, or oblivious that there are others around them. It's at these times when I am needing to be mindful and practice patience. This isn't always easy, of course, especially when children are involved... or rather their clueless or inattentive parents!

It always amazes me how you can see such beauty, and then turn your head to the right or left and see someone at their worst. I'm also uncertain of how quickly some people lose their common sense. For example, on one of my return flights home, a man unbuckled his seat belt, stood up, and all but draped himself across my slot of seats to capture a photo of take off. Just picture a grown man, seated in the aisle of the middle group of seats, leaning across said aisle and into the three seats across from where he should have been! Ugh. People.

If you focused on these negative experiences, you'd never travel, because sometimes it's enough to turn you off completely. There are airports that I try to avoid because staff or passengers are so off-putting, it just isn't worth it. Mind you, I'm in one of those now, as I type! That's why, when I get to witness those moments of happiness, of couples holding hands, or too far gone reunions finally taking place, I take the time to smile and appreciate each one, because in this day and age, you never know when you'll have the chance to witness another.

-the (overtired) Orange Canadian

No comments:

Post a Comment