Tuesday 8 November 2016

The Last Day of the Free World

It's election day in the good 'ol US of A. There are no winners this time around. Selecting the next President based on the options available is not a task I'd want to be a part of. Either way the outcome will have devastating effects on the world as we know it. Obviously, there is one choice that is the lesser of two evils, but is that really how we want to go forward into our already complicated future?

As I sit here in a coffee house, sipping in a warm caffeinated beverage, I can't help but reflect. The rains have begun, and everything is becoming an array of beautiful shades of green. And yet, I feel that depression that follows me around every day rearing it's ugly head. Maybe it's because I haven't been sleeping. Maybe it's because I am beginning to fear the world I live in. I don't believe it's really any worse than it was in previous decades or centuries - it's just become more televised. There's no longer an escape. We can't even "just change the channel or turn the page."

A friend of mine recently received the most incredible gift - a daily inspirational quote to get her through each day. The thought that went into that gift was tremendous. But, she shared one the other day, that got me thinking.
"I know the future can be scary and sometimes you can't stop yourself from being scared, but it's going to be okay. You don't have to be afraid."
I feel this is most appropriate for today and really, this week, as I think many of us are feeling uneasy about the uncertainty of what today's result may bring. But, I also feel we really do have reason to be afraid. What we have been witnessing over the last year, but more so in the last coupe of months is nothing short of soul crushing. Open and wide-scale racism, fear-mongering at a new execrated level, and threats on humanity, the environment, and our planet as a whole. There have been far too many days lately that have made it difficult to get out of bed and face the day. 

Yet, as I sit here, acknowledging the dark temperament taking over my brain, allowing me to continue to lose my faith in humanity, I somehow find hope. Because, no matter how bad the world outside of my bubble may seem, I can equally recognize the light - the good that takes place amongst all of these inactions. The laughter I share with many of you, the changes and excitement taking place in your lives for which I live vicariously, the kindness I see first hand - these all maintain my ability to see a positive future. And these days, we need to stay focused on these moments. 

So, as we go forward, lets make a conscious effort to make these rays of light shine through. We need them. Desperately. 

To make up for this bummer of a post - here's a recent shot of my quickly growing baby goats! 

Man I love goats! How cute are these little guys?!
-the Orange Canadian

No comments:

Post a Comment