Wednesday 19 August 2015

One Hula've a Time: A lesson in hula hoopery

In an effort to maintain my 'do one thing a day that scares you' I embraced a whole new world of fitness: hula hooping. I know, it sounds crazy - that stuff's for little kids. But I'm hear to tell you this is no longer the case. Hula hooping is the ultimate workout.

Several months ago, my friend, Ros organized a wellbeing event for her program, and it was a success. When the university recognized the impact of that single event, she was asked (and perhaps with some push from herself) to take it one step further. This resulted in one awesome day long event! There were several sessions including talks, meditation, workouts, and of course a free lunch. I initially was only going to participate in the Zumba class (and the free lunch, of course), or what I'll now refer to as the second best ultimate workout, but a few friends had an interest in trying out the hula hoop session. Who was I to disagree?!

I have to be honest, I figured it would be nothing more than just me looking like an idiot with a hula hoop around my ankles - and it turned out that was the case for a lot of it - but it turns out it's a whole lot more than that. AND surprisingly, I've got a few skills I didn't even know I had. I mean, I'm not going to quit my job (ha! as if I had one...) and become a professional hula hooper (yet...!), but some of the tricks came to me a little easier than I'd thought possible! Seriously it was so much fun! And now all I want to do is talk about how awesome it was. It's kind of like when you have a crush on someone, and all you want to do is tell your friends about that person and you end up just casually bringing them up in conversation. I think I need help...

Anyway, have a look at some of the neat tricks we learned throughout the hour!


So with that sweet bit of hula hooping madness, I will leave you with that image permanently etched into your brains. You're welcome. You can also forward any therapy bills to me for sessions required after viewing that video*. But that said, Way to go, Ros! That was one fantastic afternoon!

Yours in hula hooping enthusiasm,
-the Orange Canadian

*I will not actually pay your therapy bills. That was merely a statement of self-deprecating humour. Do not forward your bills to me - I will not be able to pay them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment