Wednesday 29 July 2015

In Search of Humanity

The end of my Masters program is quickly approaching. While I'm looking forward to submitting my dissertation, I also really wish time would slow down, just a little bit - just enough so that I can complete this paper without the potential meltdown of last-minute stress. Being away last week has not helped this, although it was nice to just step away for a brief moment.

One of the worst things leading up to completion is the continuous 'hounding' of eager and supportive friends and family, demanding to know what's next?! Sure, I've applied to a number of jobs, in a variety of countries, for a bunch of different positions, but none of them are entirely what I'm wanting to focus my energy on right now. I'm not saying that I wouldn't be thrilled if I got one of them, it's just that I have a project in mind that I'd rather bring to light. Being a believer of the "go big, or go home" ideology, my what's next? has taken on a 'shoot for the stars' approach. And just to throw in a few more clichés, I'm really at a point in my life where there's no time like the present, because it's now or never! Ahh...that felt good. You're all welcome.

Anyway, many of you know I have a growing interest in film. I've done several small projects, including a few for the University of Manchester. You also probably know I've been hit pretty hard by the travel bug. So, after having a conversation with a friend several months back, I casually and half-joking threw out the idea of making a documentary. Her response: go for it! And after several months entertaining the idea, I've decided I'm going to go for it. There's really only two outcomes: either I get the funding required and make it happen, or I don't. Of course, it's not as simple as that - there's plenty of details to iron out, but committing is the first step.

So here's the plan - I want to travel to as many countries as I can starting in the Spring of 2016 until either the money runs out, or I've visited all the places where I have contacts willing to take me under their wings for a couple of days. At each stop, I want to meet and converse with as many people as I possibly can, finding out how they see the world. In doing so, I want to piece all of these stories together to see what really connects as - regardless of where we're located, the languages we speak, or  the colour of our skin. I know, it's pretty ambiguous. But, there's no harm in trying!

Here's the thing, though, I need some help making this happen - not just from those of you who have already kindly offered me a roof over my head in a number of countries around the world - but I will also need some strong financial backing. I'm not looking to profit from this project, just to cover my expenses (flights, food, visas, vaccinations, etc.). I realize that it's a lot to ask, but if you would kindly do me the favour of either donating to this project, sharing my fundraising page, or both, I would truly appreciate it.

To donate, check out my GoFundMe page.


Thanks to all of you in advance,

-the Orange Canadian

No comments:

Post a Comment