Thursday 19 February 2015

A little piece of Canada in Manchester?

Guys - something AMAZING happened tonight! So, a few friends and I went in to the city centre to take part in the Chinese New Year celebrations. They were great...and I'll tell you more about those at a later time.

After taking in the light show, we decided to go for a walk around (and find food...obviously!). We walked down a few streets, and then it happened. We turned a corner, and suddenly my eyes landed on the most welcomed vision they have spotted in a while. Like a scene from a movie, the world around was dark, and the bright, cheerful words "Second Cup" drew me in. Yes, friends, there's a Second Cup in Manchester. For most of you, this probably isn't a big deal, but for little 'ol me who resorts to Starbucks coffee as a means of fulfilling her dark coffee fix, this was the best thing since sliced bread, or Betty White...which ever came last.

Mulled apple cider...Oh. Man.
I'm pretty sure I completely fit the description of "kid in candy store" for the first five or ten minutes after entering. I ordered a mulled apple cider, and sat amongst my friends. It was probably more exciting than it should have been to witness these two lovely ladies experiencing their first ever sips of Second Cup goodness!

That is a cup of White Hot Chocolate...and my friend MaCris!
I don't think I appear as overly excited as I actually
was in this moment...it was BIG!
Now for those of you unfamiliar with this popular Canadian coffee chain, it's a pretty remarkable story. If you ever find a copy of "When All You Have is Hope" by Frank O'Dea, the founder of Second Cup, I would highly recommend it. It was one inspiring rethinks I have ever read. I'm talking alcoholic who lost everything, to living on the streets, to building this empire, amongst other incredible accomplishments! And all it took was one person to believe in him... True Canadianism at its finest! If you're interested, here's an interview with O'Dea by my buddy (and former 'boyfriend'), George Stroumboulopoulos!

-the (Far Too Happy) Orange Canadian

No comments:

Post a Comment