Saturday, 3 January 2015

Happy New Year!

Well, it's the start of a NEW year, and I must say, it's been good to me so far! When I left you last, I had just returned from a quiet stay at my grandmother's and was peeping to head back across the pond just in time for some New Year's celebrations. I was pretty excited, because this year was the first time in years that I actually had plans that were likely to happen!

The day of my scheduled departure, I began feeling not so good mid-afternoon. I assumed this was pre-travel jitters, mixed with a little bit of hesitation to want to leave (a feeling that took me by surprise). I went for pre-departure dinner with Michael and Scott, and felt increasingly nauseous. By the time I made it to the airport, I felt something wasn't right. Not only was my stomach churning, but I just felt unsettled - I wasn't ready go. Regardless, I parted ways with the boys, went through security (where I sadly was not frisked, meaning I apparently don't look as dangerous as I'd like to think!), and made my way to the gate. Now, to be fair, I didn't actually need to be at the gate...I mixed up my departure time, but being as I had committed to leave when I said, and was worried about holiday travellers, I figured it would take me longer than the 15 minutes to check-in and get through security, giving me a goof 4 hours to kill (most times I don't like to admit it, but sometimes I am very much so my father's child). So, I sat at the gate reading my book, until my stomach decided dinner was not what it wanted. Can you say barf-ola? I felt pretty good afterwards, but something still didn't feel right.

About an hour before we were set to depart, an announcement was made that the plane was overbooked. I waited for a bit, and then went to the desk to volunteer myself to stay back - and decision that gave me big cash moneys for future travel, and a few extra days to spend at home. I figured this would be a quick process, but actually took over an hour to get settled and head back to Michael's. Thankfully he didn't have to come get me, although it meant having the most awkward taxi ride of my life...which includes all of the awkward ones in Ghana where I'd get hit-on or solicited for certain acts I was not willing to participate in. Now, while this trek didn't involve anything like that, it did however, result in a play by play recount of every failed job and relationship this driver had. By the time he dropped me off, I knew way too much about him, including the fact that he never married because "I've never met anyone I like enough to put up with after 3 months." I know why ladies wouldn't date him, according to him, and his love of cars. Parting ways with him was a top-of-the-list happy moment for me. Sweet dying! Michael's offer to drive me once again to the airport two days later has never been so welcomed!

Anyway, it became apparent that my decision to sit back was a good one. I spent part of the night and most of the next morning continuing to expel what little remained in my system. It slightly reminded me of that super fun experience in Ghana where I dry heaved for 24 hours, only not as intense. Luckily, I have a nice brother who came home from work with ibuprofen and chicken soup! Needless to say, my New Year's Eve was not as exciting as I'd hoped. I think I was in bed by 10pm.

The next day I woke up, and was feeling much better! I got out of bed and began working on those essays whose deadlines are quickly approaching (and which I am procrastinating working on by writing this post!). It was a beautiful morning - sun shining, quiet neighbourhood, peaceful. About 20 minutes or so later, I looked out and noticed a few flurries. I thought nothing of it and continued essaying. Shortly after, one of Michael's roommates came out and asked how long it had been snowing for, I think I replied '15 minutes' but when I looked out, I couldn't believe just how much had fallen! Finally, my Christmas wish had come true - a REAL snowfall!

Remember those pictures I posted of the light snowfall a few weeks ago, well this is what they looked like midway through this one:

Snow covered shed and backyard!
The brick and snow-covered glove!
A view of the street after the snow had stopped.
During and after the storm comparison

When Michael dropped me at the airport this time, I felt ready. The only thing saddening me this time was the fact that my ticket indicated I had an aisle seat. This was changed after a quick chat with the Air Canada agent, who kindly switched the seat for me, giving me not only a window seat, but the only row on the entire flight that had one person in it (ME!). I even received another thank you for helping them out the other night. It was weird. Of all the times I have flown AC with terrible service, this entire trip, both to and from Nova Scotia, was a very positive one! hurts me a little to admit that publicly!

I returned safely to Manchester after a brief stint in Heathrow, where I got to shake hands with a giant life-sized Oreo cookie (unfortunately, no photographic evidence - I really had to pee, and when I went back for one, he was gone!). As we were flying in, the pilot announced that it was sunny, but 9°C, so it was "a bit cold"! Then we went through a very rocky, turbulent landing that reminded me a lot of those videos all over YouTube that look super sketchy, but for a lover of turbulence, I enjoyed every moment of it!

Just a quick snapshot from my window upon returning to my flat!
When I got back to my flat, it felt like nothing had changed. I sat down to take a breathe, and woke up a few hours later, much to my disappointment. Last night was a fairly sleepless night, but I returned to Manchester with a pound of my favourite Java Blend coffee, so I'm ready to get on those essays!

Before I go, I want to say a big thank you to everyone who has been following my adventures and sending support, notes, and encouragement! I maintain this as much for you, as I do for me! I hope 2015 brings you as much excitement as I anticipate it to do for me!

-the Orange Canadian

1 comment:

  1. Happy New Year Emily! I look forward to your posts! :)