Thursday 16 October 2014

That moment you realize you're talking...

I'm not sure how many of you know me well enough to understand the pre-class panic I face almost everyday. Yes, my friends, I suffer from the dreaded in-class question answering phobia. Sure, I may come off as confident and outgoing, but deep down I'm painfully shy (probably something to do with the social anxiety I actually suffer from!). So, you will likely be amazed when I tell you that yesterday, while in a writing workshop/tutorial/seminar thingy (I believe that is the technical term!), something unexpected happened...I found myself answering a question, out loud, for the entire theatre to hear. Okay, so maybe it's not a big deal, but for me, it caught be so off guard that in the middle of answering why I felt it was important to look for counter arguments of a particular author's paper, I actually heard myself stop in panic and acknowledge the fact that I was answering a question. This of course was not aloud, thankfully, but it made me laugh slightly afterwards thinking about what that few seconds must have looked like for the professor convening the workshop, and any of the students looking in my direction! Usually, I'm pretty game for participating in classes and groups that are smaller and where I feel comfortable. I don't think I said a word in any of my undergrad classes first year. That being said, I don't think I stopped talking my final two...

Well, there you have it...official documentation of that time I heard myself recognize that I was talking in class.

-the Orange Canadian.

No comments:

Post a Comment