Friday 17 October 2014

Meeting Royalty and Returning to my Roots...sort of.

It's been a fairly eventful week for me here in Manchester! The week began with a final few visits with Scott before he returned home, and an unexpected meeting of a certain Ghanaian dignitary.

Okay, so maybe it wasn't actually the historical figure of which I am alluding to, but I will tell you I did indeed meet a fellow resident by the name of Kwame Nkrumah. Sure, I'm probably far too excited about this, BUT, if you check back to my first post from my time in Ghana, you will know that this was the first person of significance that I learned about during my stay! It was a bit of fun, or nostalgia, if you will. Plus, I'm pretty sure I gave some of my Ghanian friends a heart attack, being as the Kwame Nkrumah has been dead since 1972. Anyway, check out his Wikipedia page if you want to learn more about this influential man (the actual Kwame Nkrumah, not the one living in my building)!

You may have gathered by some of my posts and through private conversations with some of you that I'm feeling...a little underwhelmed shall we say. Sure, there's a lot of reading, but I've been here officially for a month as of today, so I've been able to sort out what's 'important' to read and what I can skip. My only means of assessment are through one 3000 word essay per course, so, I have focused my readings on that which pertain to the essay topics I have selected (unless, of course, I find a particular topic interesting or I feel I need more information than the class will provide me with). I'm glad I came here, don't get me wrong, and I am enjoying my classes, it's just that I'm not getting that level of challenge I had anticipated. In other words, I've found myself quite bored at times. But, I am going to make the most of this experience, so I have channelled my inner-ESST, and am happy to report that I am officially the Community and Environment Secretary for the Residence Association  of my hall. I've just returned from my first meeting, and I'm looking forward to the year ahead! Need proof? Here you go:

(http://manchesterstudentsunion.com/gkhra)
Well, that's my update for now. The weekend ahead is filled with assignments and readings for upcoming tutorials. I gotta say, I'm feeling slightly bummed that I won't be in Wolfville this weekend for Homecoming. So, to my fellow alum, and current Acadia peeps - enjoy, have fun, and most importantly, do ALL of the things I wouldn't do!

-the (proudly red and blue) Orange Canadian

1 comment:

  1. RA Committee?
    Imagine being an RA at the Pines when we were there BAHAHAH
    Congrats Secretary of the RA Committee!

    -Sweetcheeks

    ReplyDelete