Saturday 19 May 2018

Mastering Peace Initial Thoughts

It is hard for me to peace together exactly how I'm feeling at the moment. A few words could be overtired, overwhelmed, emotional, and unusually content. The past several days have been nothing short of incredible, and I have no doubt that it will take some time for me to full understand and appreciate all of the experiences I have been exposed to during my Masaailand PeaceWalk.

As I sit here now, in an airport lounge in Paris awaiting my next flight, I am struggling to be on my own. Not because I lack confidence, or don't enjoy spending time on my own, but because for the past 10 or so days, I have had a minimum of 20 people around me for every second of every day - from sleep time, to meals, to downtime and even bathroom breaks. This is truly the first moment on my own, and to be honest I feel a little lost and uneasy.

Photo credit: Michiel de Koning

Of course, this is only magnified by the fact that the people I spent time with during this adventure we're nothing short of inspiring. Hector and Michiel were my Nudge partners in crime and need no further explanation about how awesome they are. But the rest of the group? Well let me tell you a little bit about them!

  • Anne-Mariecke made me cry all week, not because she's mean, but because she made me feel safe enough to share parts of my life I hadn't wanted to confront. She's also a stellar dancer and a warm soul. 
  • Brigitte is basically Dr. Quin Medicine Woman in real life, and took care of us all, even when she herself wasn't feeling well. 
  • Stefan spent a good chunk of his time asking "how are you?" to everyone, throughout the day. He stayed at the back of the group with me on a number of occasions, and not once let me give up. He also shares my same slightly inappropriate sense of humour, which got me through many challenging moments. 
  • Hedwig is one of the most sincere people I have ever met. She's energetic and full of life, but genuinely interested when you speak to her. 
  • Nanda was the first person from the group (aside from Hector and Michiel, who were already friends) that I met. She later became a great friend, who listened and offered great advice while sharing laughter and licorice (which are essential for getting through an adventure of this sort). 
  • Ben is calm but full of energy. That probably doesn't make a lot of sense, but if you had been with me this week, you'd know what I mean. I enjoyed many good conversations and shared a mutual "first job in Africa" in Ghana!
  • Benedict is crazy amazing! Before last week, she had never camped, but chose Masaailand to break in her first experience. She made it seem like she'd been doing it for years! 
  • Sterre has one of the most infectious smiles. She was also quick to help me learn "Essential Dutch" along with others. 
  • Ilmar is kind and genuinely interested in all the goings on. It was wonderful to watch as he observed each experience and readily gave his energy to the group and everyone else involved. A true silent leader!
  • Danja didn't have a hope - she was assigned to be my roommate in hotel and tent form. She put up with my terrible jokes, fear of the sun, and at times my feet in her face. She also has an infectious smile and a kind heart. Not so great at the animal game (and neither am I!)
  • Erna took an interest in the plight of the girls we encountered and immediately began looking for simple ways to give back and share her knowledge. She also tended to accompany me at the back of the line - and I was always grateful!
  • Willem thinks Trudeau is pretty. BUT, I don't hold that against him. This man has been working hard to bring attention to the beauty and challenges of the Masaai people, and is nothing short of sincere in doing so. He shared wonderful stories and inspired me throughout our time together. 
  • Maurits is a kind-hearted, hilarious, and overall rad sir. I regret not taking the time to get to know him earlier in the week, but I'm so thankful for the moments we were able to spend together (particularly when attempting to get through security at the airport!).
  • Echo cannot be explained. She has a way about her that instantly makes everyone feel at ease. This led to some of the most incredibly honest conversations I've been a part of. She also pretty much laughs at everything, and makes it difficult not to join in!
  • Selly is beautiful, warm, courageous, strong and by far one of the coolest people I know. Even though we didn't get a proper good-bye, I know we will be friends for life! Thanks for sticking by me, singing along to 99 Bottles, and believing in me! 
  • Cora is another amazing woman! I am almost giddy thinking about what the future holds for her! I'm so excited to see her thrive as she boldly moves forward with the next challenge/chapter of her life!
  • Mie probably had the most confusing name, but is crazy awesome! Independent, strong, and full of life! Thanks for all of our toilet talks!
  • And last, but not least, Patrick, or as I know him - Arnold Slinger-Dinger. I think I'm a better person for knowing this guy (well, really everyone one this trip!), and a big part of that is related to watching him move out of his comfort zone. Each day was inspiring!

And then there were my Masaai friends - Francis, Faith, Desmond, Ken, Daniel, Nellie, Edwin, and of course, my good friend, Eziekiel. I know I'm omitting far too many other names but the impact they have all had on me will be everlasting and I cannot wait to touch down on Masaailand once again!

Thanks to each of you for every moment, every bit of laughter, every tear shed, and every sunburn! You are all truly amazing, unique, and beautiful! I cannot tell you how grateful I am to call you not only friends, but family. Big love to you all!

I will be sure to update more as I return home and get settled, and of course, begin to process everything. Until then...

-the Orange Canadian

2 comments:

  1. thank you for sharing Emily....am very happy to hear you had such an amazing time. Safe travels back home and keep in touch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jan - both for the feedback and for the opportunity! Plenty of more posts to come, I’m sure! Still trying to wrap my head around it all!

      Delete