Friday 4 May 2018

Home again, at last

It’s been a bittersweet few weeks to say the least. On Monday, I ended my (first) contract with Acadia – marking a total of 60 exams in 24 hours (coffee is a wonderful thing!). I ended my position at People’s the week before, and said farewell to some lovely ladies (don’t worry, I’ll be back in soon to visit!). But most significantly, Gertie and I packed up our Dartmouth apartment (well, I did – Gertie more or less just got in the way) and moved into our new home. 

Now, if you’ve been following over the years, you’ll know the term ‘home’ is, or has been, a difficult concept for me. Ever since my Mom passed (which is somehow almost 5 years now!), I have struggled with my sense of home. I thought I may have found it again in Uganda, but that turned out to not be the case. I knew my little apartment downtown was not going to be a forever option, but I, at the very least, thought it would be a safe transition point for Gertie and I. That also turned out not to be the case, and as such the move was made under very short notice. 

Over the past almost year, my urgency to find a sense of place, or home, has been more of a focus than it has at any other point over the last few years. Not that long ago, a friend asked why I was looking to buy, and my response was simply I cannot come back home again like I did last time. It was awful not knowing where I’d be resting or where I would be ending up (to go back to Uganda or somewhere different, or wanting to remain here). It’s extremely difficult to think rationally and make such decisions when your brain is consumed by negativity and burnout. 

But, that’s not how the year has is ending. In fact, I finally feel like I’m on track again – working towards something of meaning, and for which I am excited to be a part of. It feels good. But even more so, I now have my sense of place back anda bit more permanency in the form of my first house. It is such a wonderful feeling to be able to come home to a place that is mine, that I can watch Gertie open up even more, and experience the freedom and happiness she deserves! It has been a long time since even I felt that way, and I have to say, it feels pretty incredible. 

Gertie snoozing in the basement living room.
Below: playing catch inside - she’s loving all the space!

Last Friday, as I made my way to the Valley to do the final inspection before my closing that same day, I caught a glimpse of my favourite part of the drive – just past exit 8A, when you round the bend and see Blomidon standing before you in the distance. It never gets old, and I don’t believe I’ve ever seen it look the same twice! My heart always fills up with joy, my shoulders relax, and I can’t help but smile. This is home. This has always been the sight that gave me even a little sense of homeduring the past 5 years when that original sense was taken from me. 

I was greeted with these beautiful flowers from the previous owners of the house!
Over the last few days, I have slowly been getting settled, and have even met a few of my neighbours. They have been so welcoming and friendly, and already I feel a part of this little community – something I never felt in my apartment in Dartmouth. I’m not afraid of the smells and sounds around us. There aren’t overwhelming amounts of garbage laying around from others. 


Gertie’s room, also know as the backyard!
And, for the first time in a number of years, I have heard the peepers at night, and birds in the early morning. This is what home used to feel like. This is what home now is. And it’s so good to finally be home again. 

-the Orange Canadian

2 comments:

  1. It's wonderful when you find that place where you're heart and soul feel at home. Congratulations. May it always be so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you found a place to call home. I have the same feeling when I see Blomidon and await the day I can call the valley my home again :) Would love to meet for a coffee and meet Gertie soon!

    ReplyDelete