Saturday 10 March 2018

They Grow Up So Fast

Well, today was a big day in our household. My little Gertie had her first birthday, and she spent it doing some of her most favourite things - napping, eating snow and chasing ducks!

She was not a willing participant of the birthday crown. This was the closest I was able to get... It’s about a foot away. 

It’s hard to believe she’s reached a year already, as it only seems like a few months ago that I brought her home. Of course, that was only 10 months ago, but still - she’s been through so much over her first year. She’s become a world traveller, camping aficionado, snow cone maker, and a long list of other achievements...and not so achievements, such as failing obedience, and eating many of my favourite clothes and blankets. But, she’s cute.

Yesterday, she appeared to be a little apprehensive about turning the big ‘1’. When I awoke, she was laying on the bed staring off, with her little chin on her paws. I assured her it wouldn’t be so bad, and we went on with our day.

My pensive pre-1 pup. 

Today started off with a bang! Literally... as an upstairs neighbour was engaging in some... adult behaviour. This was when I first noticed her new level of maturity, as she didn’t take to the middle of the living room, point her head in the direction of the ceiling and begin barking until they stopped. Instead, she just grumbled and went back to sleep.

Happy birthday, my sweet girl! 
Throughout the day, Gertie and I went on several walks. It was so nice to have a warm, sunny day to share with her. Of course, the recent snowfalls foiled our plans a bit, since we were supposed to go for a bigger hike in a nearby park. Oh well - there will be plenty of time for that once the summer hits!

For a girl who hates the rain/getting wet, she sure makes up for it when it snows! 
She even fakes needing to pee, so she can go out and enjoy it!

Little Gerts was also treated to a few carrots. I don’t know how I managed to get a vegan dog, but I love how easy it is to get my kid to eat her vegetables. Also - it’s a great teething trick for anyone in that stage of puppyhood!


She even had her first “adult beverage” - a PiƱa Chewlatta! I think she liked it!

Thanks to BarkBox for the bevy! And, don’t worry folks - that’s not a plastic straw!

Not a bad start to a new year! I can’t wait to see what adventures she’ll take on over the next 12 months.

-the Orange Canadian

No comments:

Post a Comment