Friday 14 March 2014

Pending Adventure Number Two Announced!

Well, it's been an intense few months working towards completing my undergrad and trying to figure out what to do with the rest of my life. A month ago, I hadn't the slightest idea what I would be doing upon my return from Ghana. Today I am happy and excited to say that I have accepted an offer to study at the University of Manchester. Starting in September I will be studying a Master of Arts in International Development, focusing on Poverty, Conflict and Reconstruction, where I hope to further engage my interest in water issues.

The road to this point hasn't been easy. My initial number one choice was the University of Oxford, for which I was promptly denied acceptance in a mere 3 weeks after I submitted my application. But, I am thankful for this. Had I not been rejected, I wouldn't have found the program at Manchester, and I'm pretty sure this is a much better fit for me and my academic/career interests.

In addition to the offer at Manchester, I have had the surreal experience of turning down alternative offers. This included a spot at the London School of Economics (LSE) and a full ride to the University of Waterloo. LSE's program seemed a good fit, but not as much as Manchester, and I couldn't let the money guide a decision to study a program I knew deep down did not meet my interests, which was the case of Waterloo. I am still awaiting word from one final institution, but I don't feel I need to know their decision. I'm feeling confident and content with the decision I have made today.

So, a big road ahead. Many new adventures to look forward to, and challenges to tackle, and I cannot wait to face them all head on! I will admit, however, I do feel a slight sadness knowing that my Mom isn't hear to experience all of this with me. But, I can't help but wonder, if she were still here, would I even have the guts to do all of this? I'm not sure I would...

the Orange Canadian

No comments:

Post a Comment